Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant basement heat

Options
Jeff2020
Jeff2020 Member Posts: 4
I'm in the process of getting my boiler pump fixed so my basement radiant heat works. This is a new house to us and I'm wondering if the basement floor heat would be felt throughout the house? Some people say yes, some say no. Have not really had a solid answer and nothing on the internet that I can find.

Assuming it would be more efficient than my forced-air furnace?

Thanks,
Jeff

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Radiant heat warms people and objects. It will not radiate heat to other floors. I am sure if you cranked it up high enough some of the warm air in the space would convect to the floors above. It would probably make the lower level uncomfortable though.

The short answer is, let the radiant heat take care of the basement and use your forced air on the other floors.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    Options
    Not really any more efficient than high efficiency forced air (96%).  Direct efficiency is usually a wash, but with radiant you are often more comfortable at a lower temp, so then it can save.  Heating the basement will reduce the lid on the main furnace.  So ideally it could be downsized to run longer and heat more evenly and quietly.