Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

FHW heat; my house is shaking?!

Options
michael_15
michael_15 Member Posts: 231
I used to do a lot to manage my own old home steam/FHW hybrid system, but then I moved/got married/had kids and basically stopped paying attention to (and forgotten) everything. Now I've got a hydro-air system, or at least that's what I think it's called: a wall-mounted lochinvar boiler pushes hot water into a large air handler which blows air over the pipes and sends the warm air throughout the house.

Anyway, recently, when the boiler is firing up to a decent level, something starts to shake. It's not totally clear what is shaking when I'm standing right in front of the boiler, but directly upstairs in the living area, it's shaking. The whole half of the house vibrates. I scheduled an appointment with the folks that installed the system 4 years ago (I'm sort of loyal like that), but they're booked out 6 weeks! So I'm wondering if there are some quick things a ignorant-but-used-to-be-somewhat-competent homeowner could do to check on this in the meantime. . . thanks!

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,112
    Options
    There not much you can do except chk the trap on the unit make sure the condensate Is draining and not backing up into the unit . Sorry to say but all boiler s need to have yearly maintaince and if the company who installed it are not contacting you s about this service I don’t know how much trust I would put in them . Most wall hung boiler need to be service yearly as in the manual waiting 6 weeks to service a unit they installed sounds like bull . If it where me I would find some one else they should have been advising you to service it yearly from the get go . After 4 years you may be in for a surprise .ps if they do not have nor perform A combustion analysis then you best be advised to find a new contractor because without an analyzer there really not doing there job correctly and probably should not have installed a boiler without the required tools to set it up right . Again 6 weeks for a service appointment and they put it in I think you should talk to a supervisor ,if I installed I de be right over to see what the issue is not tell you to wait 6 weeks sound s like they don’t want to do the maintenance to me . I hound my wall hung boiler owners about maintenance and after a few years of them put me off I stop calling if they don t care then why should I it s not my equipment it s there and after time it’s there issue not mine especially without yearly service plain and simple . Wall hung boiler are not for those who don’t like to see there heating guy every year plain and simple. Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
    Zman