Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Baseboard convector EDR ratings

I'm working on providing heat for a large cabin in the Adirondacks built in the 1930's. The building has 2 29300 BTU boilers providing heat through existing baseboard convectors. These convectors have steel fins, with a measured 7 fins per inch. A picture of the unit is attached below. one of the units is a measured 9 in. depth off the wall and 56 in. long. I was wondering if I could receive help getting an EDR value or BTU output value for the existing unit. Thanks!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 15,868
    edited December 2020
    If you can't find it in a book or table somewhere, it really isn't that hard -- measure the actual length of a fin (take the corrugations into account; they're important) and the height to get the surface area (count both sides) and then multiply by the number of fins and convert to square feet. That, within a close margin, is the EDR. The BTUh output will, of course, vary with the water temperature supplied.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Kennethwparker3