Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is there any issues with using brass fitting with black iron pipe in an exterior installation?

Options
bender1227
bender1227 Member Posts: 50
I'm hooking up my generator to run on natural gas and have a dedicated 3/4" black iron pipe natural gas line that it will be hooked up to. From the brass ball valve on the outside of the house I have a flexible gas hose that runs to the generator.

My only concern is that were going to be mixing black iron pipe and brass fittings which I know is a common installation where I live but will there be any issues with rain/snow and those two types of metals being outside under a soffit? Or is there any other issues?

The generator will only be outside during the uncommon situation that our power goes out and will be out of the elements otherwise.

Thanks

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    I don't see any issue. Just keep the valve plugged or capped if the generator isn't hooked up
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I would be more concerned the use of a flexible gas line than black iron pipe and brass valves. Why the need for a flex connector? Why not keep it all solid threaded pipe? Brass isn't affected by rain or snow and the iron pipe will last forever if you keep it painted.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,859
    Options
    Outside... you should use galvanized pipe. Black pipe without a good paint job every year... is a recipe for a 20-year gas pipe leak. Some will say not to mix galvanized and black pipe but, in the coastal communities in NJ where I'm from, all have the outdoor gas meters piped in using galvanized then black pipe is approved indoors.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

SuperTech
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Is this a permanently installed generator? From your post I get the feeling it’s portable/semi-portable and you hook it up when needed.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• bender1227
    Options
    Hey everyone thanks for your replies.

Its a portable generator that I only take out when my power goes out.

The flex line I bought was designed for outdoor and natural gas.  I got a flex line so I can keep the generator 10’ away from my house when I run it. 

What can I paint the black iron pipe with?

Can rain wash away pipe dope and cause a leak?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    @EdTheHeaterMan

I know some parts of the country allow galvanized but not everywhere. MA strictly forbids it.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    @bender1227

Any good quality oil based paint like Rustoleium. No rain wont wash away pipe dope gas pipe is run outside all the time.

Flex line is ok if listed for gas piping and outdoor rated. Don't pull it tight leave some flex in it for generator vibration
    136lin
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,306
    Options
    Hi, How about wrapping the pipe and part of the valve with gas wrap tape? That way you could likely go with black pipe and no rust for a long time. That approach would fly here in California, but I don't know about elsewhere.

I'd use the yellow teflon tape made for gas.

Yours, Larry
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,859
    Options

@EdTheHeaterMan

I know some parts of the country allow galvanized but not everywhere. MA strictly forbids it.

Massachusetts pretty much forbids everything! Unless it caused cancer... you need to live in California for that.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • bender1227
    Options
    Okay perfect thanks everyone. I'm going to pick up some exterior paint and paint the pipe.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options
    Okay perfect thanks everyone. I'm going to pick up some exterior paint and paint the pipe.
    You can do that, but it was my experience that normal paint will need to be redone every few years.

That's why this time I used the 93% zinc paint.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    fenkel