Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Drain-Off Running Brown Right After Supposed Cleaning

Options
Jimmbo
Jimmbo Member Posts: 39
edited December 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
Hi, non-expert consumer question!

Plumbing company did their annual cleaning/inspection of my gas/steam system. The guy told me "all done", took my money, and I asked him to remind me how to drain water from the system (which I vaguely remember being told to do monthly).

We headed back to the basement, he turned a faucet on the side of the boiler, and a blast of filthy brown water came out. It quickly turned clear.

Question: Did that initially dark brown water mean he didn't actually clean it?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    Normally the cleaning on a steam boiler is on the first side -- which does indeed need to be cleaned. So the filthy brown water from the water side somewhere doesn't mean anything, one way or another, as to whether he cleaned it.

Now -- where is that valve? if it's on a mechanical float blowdown, then yes, it should be blown down about once a month, give or take, and it will be pretty cruddy and hopefully quickly turn clear.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Jimmbo
    Jimmbo Member Posts: 39
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Thanks, Jamie!

The valve in question is the red one at lower right. He said to fill a half bucket or so monthly
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    Some chocolate is fairly normal in a steam boiler.  Also I would not take anything out monthly, as far as I’m concerned no benefit and can actually make things worse.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Jimmbo
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    No need to drain that valve monthly. Yearly, maybe. But not monthly.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Jimmbo