Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Vent Brands

Options
Servicing a customers radiator the other day and had to install a new air vent. I had to replace a Hoffman 1A and installed a Maid O Mist #5. I've noticed that the Maid O Mist that I stock on my van seem to be hit or miss for being able to start threading into different radiators. The supply houses in the Detroit area only seem to stock Maid O Mist vents. Service guys out there what's your preference on vent brands you stock on your truck. I've seen some old Gordon's and Barnes and Jones still operating on systems with no issues even in less than clean systems. Just looking into a better option for van stock even if it's special ordering some. 

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    I had a batch of MOM's a few years ago that had straight threads when it sb a tapered thread, i would take them back and test any replacements with a 1/8" fitting to make sure they are good. If you cant you will have to use a 1/8" NPT die on them to fix those threads.

i find MON's to be as good as any when it comes to venting but I'd call them and tell them their QC is slipping.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • offdutytech
    offdutytech Member Posts: 133
    Options
    Thanks I didn't have a doe with me so just used a 1/8" coupling and got around it. Thanks for the feedback. MOM is all that seemed to be stocked in my area so was hard to compare products 
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,703
    Options
    If you get stuck with poor choice locally have you tried supplyhouse.com ?

I’m Michigan born and raised so I love the practice of shopping locally in Detroit, and I love MoM but if they don’t have what you want...
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • offdutytech
    offdutytech Member Posts: 133
    Options
    I have shopped supply house before. I'm an more of an independent contractor for a small heating and cooling company so the local supply places we have accounts with are a little easier for me to get parts at. It seems like steam stuff for residential around here is getting easier to find with more people renovating houses in the city.
    ethicalpaul