Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Real time reading from AMR Meter

Options
deyrup
deyrup Member Posts: 62
edited December 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
Massachusetts is putting some roadblocks in the adoption for smart metering. I was wondering if I could get a wifi enabled radio frequency receiver and decode the signal from my AMR meter; so I could set up something like a smart meter in my house. Is AMR data usually encrypted and will I be able to detect the meter signal with a standard radio receiver? Is there another alternative that would allow me to get real time reads from my gas/electric/water meters?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,398
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Frankly, I hope the data are encrypted. Strongly.

That said, even if it is not, you would have to be able to establish communication with the meter; it's not just that it sits there broadcasting, and it's a digital message. A standard radio receiver will only pick up hash, even if you do happen to find the correct channel at that moment.

There are commercial monitors available at least for electric use; not sure about gas or water; which will get you real time usage rate, if not totals.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • deyrup
    Options
    It probably isn't transmitting a hash, because hashes are one way functions, but I could certainly believe that they encrypt the data.
  • Jamie Hall
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I didn't mean "hash" in the computer jargon sense of the term; I meant hash in the sense of unreadable radio noise.

I might add that if the data are not encrypted, they are not only in violation of common sense and prudence, but a large and growing number of laws regarding privacy.

Which, of course, isn't to say that they are. Utilities, particularly, are notorious for having perfectly appalling computer security.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • deyrup
    Options
    If it I can be read by a digital device I can figure out what the encoding is; basically if there is a way to get the data and the data is not encrypted or encrypted stupidly then I have the skills to do the rest. It is the getting the data part that I am not sure how to do.
  • Jamie Hall
    edited December 2020
    Options
    deyrup said:

If it I can be read by a digital device I can figure out what the encoding is; basically if there is a way to get the data and the data is not encrypted or encrypted stupidly then I have the skills to do the rest. It is the getting the data part that I am not sure how to do.

Which is exactly and precisely why I refuse to permit any form of internet connected or RFD enabled device on my property, except my computers. If you can -- and I do not doubt you -- so can a lot of other people.

No thank you.
    Br. Jamie, osb