Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Humidifier options with 1 Pipe Steam

Options
Im getting close to having this system dialed in, but i think i would like to add humidification if possible. In the summer we use a whole house swamp cooler and in the winter we have the steam boiler, Which translates into some pretty massive humidity swings here in ole Colorado.

I was considering getting one of these Aprilaire 865 Steam humidifiers with powered vent and was curious if anyone has ever used one or had any pointers. Its possible for me to mount this in my mechanical room and put the powered fan directly above it in my living room. I have brick walls so mounting will be a pain of course. I wonder if one could use a floor box? or possibly mount it very close to floor in a small enclosure. Will the humidity make it all the way to the second floor? How much humidity will be right at the vent (enough to ruin wood flooring/cabinetry??)

Has anyone ever used an inline humidifier and built a mini furnace setup that just serves as a humidifier with a single vent?

Im open to other options as well. (aside from putting pots on my rads or taking off the vents lol).

Comments

• Dooverdixon
    Dooverdixon Member Posts: 49
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Something like this could potentially work, but one would need to figure out where to get makeup air that didnt come from the colder (and gas appliance filled) boiler room i suppose.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Aprilaire-350-APR-Self-Contained-Humidifier-w-Built-in-Fan?gclid=Cj0KCQiA8dH-BRD_ARIsAC24umbE14HotYCO8x9M8mXONfWRFffhX5zjgJ9ByuGJ-3bK32097lxfjA8aAs8REALw_wcB#reviews-content
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    While you're at it, make sure you have minimized infiltration. The killer on winter low humidity is the infiltration!

Be a little cautious on humidity, too. Be sure that your dewpoint is always below the temperature of cool surfaces, such as windows or even outside walls behind cabinets and the like.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I have the Aprilaire Steam humidifier but it’s on a air handler. Been very happy with it. Can be an electricity hog if you need a lot of humidity. Plan to pull a 240 circuit to get full output.

I expect this remote fan powered setup would work well if you can install it in a central room like a foyer. But I’ve never installed the remote fan. I expect the fan will need to get taken apart and cleaned at least once a season. So install it where you have easy access.

Expect a lot of humidity within 10’ of it. It will be similar to a small pot of water boiling on a 5000btu simmer burner with a very small fan blowing on it. They give minimum clearances in the manual.