Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

DIY Wet Return

Options
Bomba
Bomba Member Posts: 28
Hey Guys,

Was wondering if it's "alright" to have a "tee" in my wet return? Was looking to run a new wet return, and wanted to run most of it before I cut out the current. In doing so, I would run a new went return down the center of my basement, elbow into the location where the current wet return is. My question is, can I run the wet return from each main run into a "tee", and then pipe it into the boiler. I'll include a non 3D sketch of what I'm suggesting.

Thanks!

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    Yes, you can do almost anything as long as the whole thing stays under the waterline.

You can also put additional Tees with 3/4" garden hose valves to make flushing it out easy.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • New England SteamWorks
    Options
    as the whole thing stays under the waterline.  
    This
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Will the Tee be under water?
    IMO, that is necessary.
  • Bomba
    Options
    Everything will be underwater. My water line is 32 inches. Wet return will be 12 inches (all measurements from floor) 
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    So each end of main drops will have a water seal from each other?
  • Bomba
    Options
    I just sent you a DM
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    yes your fine
  • Bomba
    Options
    Hey guys. Finished the wet return and main vents. After completing I think I did this one main line wrong with the vent. Was wondering if it was adequate or if I should try to bring the vents up into the ceiling? 

• ethicalpaul
    Options
    It’s not horrible. I’d see how it does in practice. Remember the vast majority of venting will occur before the condensation starts really flowing. If the vents shoot water or fail to vent the air, you may have to raise them
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    Pyrobar.
  • danitheplumber
    danitheplumber Member Posts: 85
    Options
    I was always taught that the proper posotiob of the main vent is 6-12" off ends of the main right before the elbow turns down.
  • ethicalpaul
    Options
    That would be better
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    I’ve come off the vertical drop in the past with my venting tree, assuming you have at least 28”. 
  • Bomba
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Before makes more sense now that I’m thinking about it. It does work, and having a system before with no main vents to adding (2) Gorton 2’s it’s a tremendous difference. Maybe when the weather changes I’ll do it the right way. But for now, it’s going to stay. 
    ethicalpaul
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    @Bomba

If it works..... fine.

If you have a problem take the bushing out of that tee and put a full size 90 and a nipple where the bushing is. Go up with that 90 to get above the water. Pipe it over to the side and make the vents as high as possible
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 912
    Options
    The trouble with coming off the end of the main like that is that the vents are vulnerable to water hammer if it should occur, and more likely to get water in them if there is a significant condensate load, for instance on a cold start.

Bburd
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    If you put a elbow (maybe with a nipple between it and the main) at that end of main opening and then a horizontal 6-12" nipple you can the use another elbow and a nipple (get new vent as high up as you can) to mount the vent on. That will protect the vent from and errant slugs of water. make sure the horizontal nipple has a bit of slope so water can find it's way back to the main.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge