Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

General heating question

Options
kolyan
kolyan Member Posts: 17
I have 3 zones with zone valves (1st, 2nd floor, and basement) I usually don't heat basement zone for cost savings because I am never there and temps there are usually in upper 50s. Its heated by a small hydronic kick space heater with a blower. My question is, does it make sense to just open this zone valve manually and have hot water flow there when other 2 zones are on? My thought behind this is that I don't need heat there all the time, and it would be a waste to fire up the boiler to keep basement in 70s, but wouldn't it be basically "free" heat of some sort if valve is manually open and only sends hot water to kickspace heater with calls for other 2 zones?
Maybe its a stupid question, I am obviously not a plumber....

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    No there is no such thing as free heat. If you don't need heat ther leave it off. When on it will take longer to heat your other zones. No Free Lunch
    kcopp
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Also, the manual lever will only hold the valve open temporarily. Once there's a heat call to it and it's satisfied, the valve will shut.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • kolyan
    Options

No there is no such thing as free heat. If you don't need heat ther leave it off. When on it will take longer to heat your other zones. No Free Lunch

The question is whats the penalty, its a pretty short loop, room is next to boiler. I don't need heat there, but say once a week when I do, it takes forever to go from 50s to upper 60s
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,166
    Options
    kolyan said:
    The question is whats the penalty, its a pretty short loop, room is next to boiler. I don't need heat there, but say once a week when I do, it takes forever to go from 50s to upper 60s
    Id leave it set around 60-62 on the thermostat when you aren't using the room. That should take care of your problem. The heat won't be wasted, it will just be waiting for your arrival. 
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 917
    Options
    The penalty is higher fuel cost for supplying heat to the basement when you don’t need it. If some heat is diverted to the basement when the upstairs zones are on, the burner will run a bit longer.

Bburd
  • kolyan
    Options
    I see. Well thanks. I guess I'll just keep doing it the same way. Heat is set to 58F there, when I need to use basement ill just set it to 68F. Boiler is condensing so water temp is lower that's why
    It takes a while to heat up. My understanding is that considering boiler work best with fixed temperature on thermostats, but at the same time if I don't need heat at night or in basement, it just makes no sense to run it.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    If you are in the basement the same time each day you could get a programmable T-stat and set it to come on a couple hours before you go down...
  • kolyan
    Options
    kcopp said:

If you are in the basement the same time each day you could get a programmable T-stat and set it to come on a couple hours before you go down...

Yes I know. No its always different times now. Planning to make a small gym there so maybe it will be more consistent. Now its a playroom
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    When you heat the basement, a portion of that heat is lost  to the walls, windows, floor, etc. A heat load calc would help show what that loss is at all those surfaces.

But you would also reduce the load on the floor above by having a warm basement.
    In the end, heating both spaces will take more fuel and add cost.

It would certainly help to insulate the basement, paying particular attention to the rim joist. There tends to be a lot of infiltration loss where the plate contacts the foundation. 20 bucks worth of spray foam can help lessen those losses.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • kolyan
    Options
    hot_rod said:

When you heat the basement, a portion of that heat is lost  to the walls, windows, floor, etc. A heat load calc would help show what that loss is at all those surfaces.

But you would also reduce the load on the floor above by having a warm basement.
    In the end, heating both spaces will take more fuel and add cost.

It would certainly help to insulate the basement, paying particular attention to the rim joist. There tends to be a lot of infiltration loss where the plate contacts the foundation. 20 bucks worth of spray foam can help lessen those losses.

Rim joist already sprayed, thanks. Its just one room in basement, roughly 1/4 of basement space, so above is only 1 room too.