Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator valve fixed shut?

Options
pnm2
pnm2 Member Posts: 56
In troubleshooting one of my radiators that never heats, I first noticed the shutoff valve doesn't turn all that much in either direction before stopping, and so I thought I'd start there.

I discovered that there appears to be some sort of permanent "wall" keeping it closed (see photo).

I don't know why someone would've done that, but it is fairly close to the thermometer so maybe that's the reason?

In order to open things up, do I need to replace the valve entirely or is there some other way to open this "wall"? Or am I better off keeping it closed due to its proximity to the thermometer? I was thinking I'd throw a #4 vent on it, since I'm partial to the idea of all my radiators operating, even if some to a lesser degree.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    That's a gate valve. When open that "wall", known as a gate, will lift up opening the valve. Need to get it freed up to allow for flow so the radiator will heat.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    pnm2ethicalpaul
  • pnm2
    Options
    How do I open it? The valve hardly turns, and when it does there's no change to the gate.
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    pnm2 said:

How do I open it? The valve hardly turns, and when it does there's no change to the gate.

How much is it turning? Gate valves typically take a lot of turns to open completely, sometimes a turn or 2 before you see much movement.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • pnm2
    Options
    Very little. Maybe a quarter turn, tops. Maybe I need to put a lot more muscle on it? It just felt like it came to a pretty complete stop, but I haven't yet tried excessive force since it felt like it was at the end of its turn.
  • pnm2
    Options
    Never mind, got it! Just needed some extra force. Thanks!
    KC_Jonesethicalpaul
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    Glad to help.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    pnm2