Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam main vents

Options
jtompkins
jtompkins Member Posts: 12
I have 2 main vents about 12inchs from the elbow at the end of the pipe. They are on a 6 inch riser and i replaced them with new hoffman 45. They dont seem to work. The boiler is set at .75 psi +1. The house has 5 radiators on the main floor and 2 small ones on the second floor. There seems to be excess steam and spitting coming out of the second floor . The main Floor air vents are set at 4 and the second floor are at 1. How can i stop this?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    What kind of vents are the ones that are spitting? Make? Model?

Also, have you checked that those radiator inlet valves are fully open, that the radiators are pitched correctly, and that all the pipes feeding the radiators are pitched correctly?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • jtompkins
    Options
    First i had Hoffman 40 now there is hoffman 1a set at 1. The radiators are pitched leaning to the pipe. The service valve does open and close. I have not checked the pitch on the main pipes. How much pitch should the main pipes have? With the main vents should i use Hoffman 4Aor 45?
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    jtompkins said:

With the main vents should i use Hoffman 4Aor 45?

Most likely neither as they don't have a lot of capacity. Main vents need to be sized based on length and diameter of the mains. Do you know how long and what pipe size your mains are?

2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • jtompkins
    Options
    The pipe to the left 30' the one to the right is 35' . The pipe is 2-1/2 thickbut i will double check that when i get home
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    If you measure ~2 3/8" OD then that is 2" pipe. For mains that length and size I'd say you need a Gorton #2 on each one.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15