Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Master Tablet Alternative

Options
Hi Guys - Have been using steam master tablets for years, but they don't seem to be available anywhere. Can someone recommend a replacement? What are you guys using now?

Comments

• CantabHeat
    CantabHeat Member Posts: 33
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I believe 8-way has similar active ingredients and also provides the color indicator. Have used it for a few seasons now and appears to have completely stopped any corrosion... water stays clear all season. 
    ethicalpaul
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    You might call Barnes and Jones. I know a year or two ago, when the tablets became scarce, they bought a few cases to resell.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    Rectorseal 8-way is working well for me, but, and I say this every time so I'm sorry (not sorry) about the repetitiveness, but use way less than the label says.

I recommend using cheap litmus paper strips from Amazon ($4) to get the ph around 8 or 9. Much more than that and you risk surging.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,700
    Options

Rectorseal 8-way is working well for me, but, and I say this every time so I'm sorry (not sorry) about the repetitiveness, but use way less than the label says.

I recommend using cheap litmus paper strips from Amazon ($4) to get the ph around 8 or 9. Much more than that and you risk surging.

I suspect the surging is caused by other things in the additive other than pH. Steamaster does the same thing and I don't think it's pH is much higher, if higher at all than 9.

Regardless, too much is bad.

I stopped checking my pH because Steamaster turns blue by nature if it's too low and purple if it's safe.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    ethicalpaul
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    Options
    I second the comment about using about 1/2 the dose they recommend. Here on Chicago water, we were seeing Ph around 10.5 at the normal dosage.... great to stop corrosion on ferrous but can start eating at brass and copper. Keeping the water a very light purple tint seems about right.....ph around 9.5. WE've never had trouble with surging at the full dosage... unless the boiler is dirty. The 8 way has anti-foam agents I believe. We've been trying out some powdered treatments that seem to work just as well.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    ethicalpauldelcrossv
  • CantabHeat
    CantabHeat Member Posts: 33
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Only time I’ve seen surging issues is if the system was dirty. 8-way is a “cleaner” before it’s a “maintainer.” If there is gunk in the system it will get knocked loose so there is certainly an element of “things get worse before they get better.” If you start putting additives in a system that was previously running chocolate milk in the sight glass expect to do several flushes to get all the junk out before things run smoothly. Once all the gunk is out though I’ve seen no issues with surging on a clean system.
    ethicalpaul
  • Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
    Options
    That time of year again, I seem to find about two cases every year and now I can’t find them again. Anyone know where I can find steam Master tablets or equivalent.
  • Dan_NJ
    Dan_NJ Member Posts: 247
    edited January 9
    Options
    They re-branded it as "Scaleflush" then they seem to have dropped it? The link down a bit on this page is a 404 error (not found), but it does mention "Formerly known as Steamaster".
    https://rectorseal.com/heating-lp
    Isn't 8-way more or less the same formula though?
    ethicalpaul
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,700
    Options
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 600
    edited January 9
    Options

Definitely a difference (i mean you are comparing liquid to a tablet), but what the end result is after dissolved in water.. beats me.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    edited January 9
    Options
    All these products are very similar. There are a few different ingredients that are described as "rust inhibitors" which all raise the PH. There are some other ingredients that are described as "descalers" (probably the citric acid in SteamMaster, shown above--I wouldn't put acid in my boiler though). Basically pick your favorite, put enough in to get the PH to 11 and then rest easy.

My fave as most people have heard me say is 8-way because it's so convenient.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el