Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Limit Circuit Closed Blower Powered Light Flashing

Hello,

The other day I heard a faint sound on and off over and over coming from the boiler room. I thought (hoped) it'd just stop and not happen again, but unfortunately that's not the case. My boiler continues to do this - I don't think it happens every time, but it happens enough to where I noticed it.

First of all, here's some info I'm sure someone will need to know in order to try and help:

Gas Boiler: Weil-McLain Gold GV (roughly 20 years old)
Integrated Boiler Control: Auto Ignition Systems; Model # 1013-200

I took a closer look and lifted the panel. The green power light is on the entire time, the TSTAT CIRC red light blinks erratically, and the LIMIT red light blinks in a very controlled manner - turning off and back on every other second or so. Note: I switched the breaker off and back on thinking maybe it just needed a reset - it immediately resumed the weird blinking and noise.

Also FYI, about 9 months ago there was very loud noises, shaking, and extremely powerful steam and water blowing out from a pipe that just leads to nowhere and points down against the cement. If I remember right the pump wasn't working in addition to something else. I'm sorry I'm clueless when it comes to this. Anyway, I had a heating pro come and he fixed it. Among the repair, he said that either the main issue or perhaps only issue had to do with the expansion tank? So he installed a new one:

Brand: Flex 2
Model: HTX 30
Pre-charge: 12 PSIG
Pressure: 100 PSI
Temperature: 240 F

Not sure if that extra info helps or tells you anything at all. With that said... Any ideas? I know being 20 years old means it's nearing, or is already at the end of it's life. Is there an easy fix or should I get someone there ASAP? I have 3 young kids in this house and maybe this is irrational but the boiler scares the crap out of me. This issue isn't nearly as intense as the one 9 months ago - for that one I literally had to evacuate the family (at least I felt I had to) - but ever since then even the smallest thing/issue with the boiler worries me.

Thanks a ton in advance for any info you can provide. I really appreciate it!

Nick

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,556
    Is the control 1013-200 with the lights the original control? It may be time to replace it.
    This is a very easy DYI repair if you are inclined. All the connections are plug-in wire connectors and no two connectors are alike so you can't put the wrong wire somewhere.

Available on Amazon or supplyhouse.com.

If you get a contractor to replace the control, ask if they have a warranty on their service call, keep the old control, and use a credit card to pay for the repair. If the same thing happens after the new control is installed, then you have the ability to ask the credit card company to charge back the contractor if he does not honor the warranty to your satisfaction.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,118
    The loud noise and water and steam all over the place was the safety relief valve opening. Which saved you a whole bundle of money -- and possibly the house. And which was probably caused, indeed, by a failed expansion tank.

That problem isn't related to the one you have now.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • nicknastoff
    nicknastoff Member Posts: 2
    Thank you both for the info and taking the time to reply!

I do believe the control was one of the things they replaced earlier this year. I’m definitely going to find my receipts and contact the person who did the work.

Thanks!
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,244
    20 years old is not very old for a cast iron boiler.  Its very possible that the boiler could go another 20-30 years.  Take care of it and you shouldn't have anything to worry about,  its much more reliable than a forced air furnace.  That boiler does have some known problems with control board failure, I wouldn't be surprised if it is your problem.