Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Setting up ODR

Options
Suzook
Suzook Member Posts: 221
I am having issue maintaining temp on my 2nd zone on 2nd floor. Its as insulated as well as possible, but most of my issue is not enough fin tube. This year, not an option to add any. Once we hit around 30 at night, i cant maintain the setpoint. So i should increase min supply temp, correct? Thanks

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,924
    edited December 2020
    Options
    If you have operated without ODR in the past, and you did not experience this problem in the past. Then you are correct. the higher temperature in the existing elements will provide more heat.

This means that your other zones/areas will cycle off more often.
    Nice Car!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Suzook
    Options
    Thanks! On both. LOL
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    Options
    Make sure the fins are clean and there’s a gap if possible behind furniture.

If you raise the temp but reduce the flow rate you might get more heat without hurting efficiency.  Efficiency depends on return water temp not supply temps.  But it’s a fine line.  You do get a little more capacity with flow.  What’s the delta T now?
  • Suzook
    Options

Make sure the fins are clean and there’s a gap if possible behind furniture.

If you raise the temp but reduce the flow rate you might get more heat without hurting efficiency.  Efficiency depends on return water temp not supply temps.  But it’s a fine line.  You do get a little more capacity with flow.  What’s the delta T now?
    Fins are clean, with space from furniture. Unfortunately, they put in as little as possible fin tube, but it worked using 180 degree supply temp. I actually got a degree more increasing the flow. I dont know what my Delta T is. Ant cheap digital thermos out there? Im not worried about efficiency at the moment, more about maintaining setpoint, and long cycles. The long cycles i am getting.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,795
    Options
    If you have central AC shut all the room defusers or vents the lead up into the cold attic ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Suzook
  • Suzook
    Options
    Big Ed_4 said:

If you have central AC shut all the room defusers or vents the lead up into the cold attic ...

Well, damn. I forgot about those upstairs. I did them down, not up.