Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Zone Valve

Options
clutch
clutch Member Posts: 3
edited December 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
Can I hook up a end switch on a zone valve to run 2 relays

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,859
    Options
    Yes and No

You may need to have a single pole double throw relay to isolate the relays you are operating.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• EdTheHeaterMan
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Once the end switch pulls in both relays, the coil resistance of the relay may be enough to create a holding circuit that will not allow the other relay to disengage when the end switch opens. (or both relays could get the transformers fried by making 48 volts)

EDIT:
    It would be best to isolate the relays. Especially if the relays are operated by different transformers End switch to pull in the SPDT DPST relay and the separate poles of the SPDT DPST relay operate the final relays without cross-connecting the wiring or

Need a diagram? Let me know the model number of the relays you want to operate and I'll see what I can come up with.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

STEVEusaPA
  • clutch
    Options
    May need or do need?
  • clutch
    Options
    Thank you
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    clutch said:

May need or do need?

depends on the application.

Edward Young Retired

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Also what is the power source? Can it handle the contact ratings?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    The end switch is just that: a switch. It won't power anything. What it will do is complete a circuit from an appropriate power source through your relay -- or relays -- to energize them. Then, of course, you can do pretty much what you want with the relays.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Most zone valve switches are rated for 120V, a 1A. As long as the "loads" your are switching are powered by the same circuit you should be fine.
    I think Ed means a single throw, double pole relay that would isolate two different circuits or load, as an on/ off function. And depending on the isolation relay it could have a higher current rating than the end switch.
    We need to know more about what you are trying to control or switch.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Thanks for catching my error @hot_rod. That was a case of "Do
    What I Mean, Not What I Say"

Here is an example of what I mean

Isolation DPST relay isolates the ZV end switch from the transformers on the individual transformers of the 2 "object" relays Illustrated by 3 different color circuits.

Although I can't see a practical use for this particular diagram

Still interested to know what @clutch's application is!!!

Edward Young Retired

STEVEusaPA