Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostat Install question

TGO_wife
TGO_wife Member Posts: 48
edited December 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
Just want to check that the contractor wired the thermostat correctly. The first picture is the old thermostat, Honeywell Prestige. The 2nd pic is the replacement VisionPro8000. Is the R wire in the right place on the replacement? Only controlling the pump for the radiant system. No cooling on this thermostat.
Thanks.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,556
    edited December 2020
    Yup

Exactly the same

In your first picture the angle of your picture makes the designation of each wire look like it is for the screw above the label.

If you count the screws and count the labels you will see that.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

TGO_wife
  • TGO_wife
    edited December 2020
    ty, Just wondering why I was getting a cooling stage option on it, when it's only for heat. In the top pic the red wire is in R, on the bottom in RC
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,747
    The 'system' button gives you a cool option? That's a programming setting. It's pretty straightforward to turn it off if you want to take a stab at it.
    TGO_wife
  • TGO_wife
    yes it does give a cool option & yes want to take it off
  • ratio
    The manual for that stat can be found here. Starting on page 6 is the programming. You want to go until you find (IIRC) 'number of cool stages", change that to 0 with the down arrow, touch 'done' & save the changes. That's it. Don't change anything else, of course.
    TGO_wifeHVACNUT
  • TGO_wife
    edited December 2020
    thanks.... set it to zero... & t-stat back to heat only
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,556
    edited December 2020
    The R and RC are jumpered together. this is so the thermostat can get power to operate since the circuit that powers many thermostats onboard microprocessor is the cooling circuit.

EDIT:
    There is a way to program it for heating only. the instructions start on page 14 of the user setup instructions.
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/Honeywell-TH8321WF1001-User-Guide.pdf

I had the incorrect info earlier

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

TGO_wife
  • TGO_wife
    thank you
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,084
    i would think the R wire should be on R rather than Rc but i dont know that stat
  • What went wrong with the preexisting Prestige t-stat?
    Is there a need to setup the thermostat for the heating system type?--NBC
  • ratio
    Leave the jumper in. IIRC RC powers the thermostat & R powers the heat call. If not, it isn't going to hurt anything.
  • TGO_wife
    Not sure if the Prestige had a problem, the contractor thought it had one.. Didn't make a difference .. still have the same bizarre issue... see my other post for that.