Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Great hot water boilers.

Options
JohnNY
JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
edited December 2020 in Gas Heating
I got to do some seasonal maintenance on a couple of Aerco Modulex mod-cons today. If you get a chance to get your hands into one, I fully recommend you check out what some next-level engineering looks like. Each section has its own burner, gas valve, draft inducer, ignitor, and flame rectification rod. The redundancy means incredible turndown (39:1 on some models) and no emergency breakdowns.

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
Consulting & Troubleshooting
Heating in NYC or NJ.
Classes
ZmanAlan (California Radiant) ForbesHVACNUTTurbo Dave

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    Never seen one of those. Worked on a few of the larger Aerco's changed a HX on one.

Why no drip leg on the gas? Is that the NY thing about not being able to steal gas off the drip?
  • JohnNY
    Options

Never seen one of those. Worked on a few of the larger Aerco's changed a HX on one.

Why no drip leg on the gas? Is that the NY thing about not being able to steal gas off the drip?

Exactly. NYC got funny about drip legs for a while there. Now inspectors are saying it's got to be listed in the equipment manual as a necessity and only after the appliance valve.

Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    @JohnNY

I remembered a post here years ago about someone running a water hose off a drip leg to get gas to the building next door.

Never herd of a drip led after an appliance valve......that's a new one. I always thought the purpose was to keep junk out of appliance valves!!!!!. I know around here they don't allow drip legs outdoors.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Drip legs used to be required at every horizontal to vertical change in direction in SF.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    JohnNY
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    @Alan (California Radiant) Forbes

here too in the old days. Now they claim that the gas is a lort "drier" than it used to be so I don't see then as much. Not sure when the code changed
  • JohnNY
    Options
    No, by “appliance valve” I mean the gas shut off valve. It’s still far from foolproof. 
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    I've removed many a drip leg; nary a crumb.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    JohnNYunclejohn
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    Options
    They had Arcos at the college I worked at.  They were reliable but improper application as they return water temp was normally over 140f for makeup air reheat coil.  

I agree it’s a cool design.  But 
    They required the gaskets between the sections replaced every 3 years.