Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Steam System Owner Looking for Advice on Improvements

Options
2»

Comments

• Dayton_Dude
    Dayton_Dude Member Posts: 52
    Options
    No pumps. It is the OG return pushing 90 years of service. I am not a fan of the return being behind my main breaker. I contacted my local steam guy(not a plumber) as suggested by @Fred. He should be here anywhere from 1500 to 1700 since he lives in neighborhood. Again thank you all for your help. The feedback has been great! 
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    I am looking at your gas hot water heater tank....nothing to do with the steam heat.
    I notice the copper return to the bottom of the water heater tank, it looks like hot water gravity recirculation system.
    I have that system myself, how does yours work for you?
  • Dayton_Dude
    Options
    It seems to be fine... I dont know anything else tbh. So I am not sure if it is a wedgie
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    and what is the picture with the wet stain on the floor, coming from the wall?
    what's leaking ?
    known to beat dead horses
  • Dayton_Dude
    Options
    Leak was caused by an under ground pipe (Going to replace with "new return"-PEX Tie feed line into the new wet return to work as hartford loop.)
    Found Main Vent... It is stuck shut and nearly impossible to get at. (put large vents on the end of line radiators)
    Replace Elbow with a T on Near boiler piping to work as another equalizer.
    Though I have some water damage does anybody know how best to put it toward an insurance agent?
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    What is your insurance deductible amount?
    What I have seen in your pictures look to be pretty minor in damages.
  • Dayton_Dude
    Options
    2500. That is seepage I have some carpet that is peeling up and a floor that is bubbling up.
  • Dayton_Dude
    Options
    Damage from pipe covered. Going dry return with a big vent. Increasing header height. Flipping equalizer so it makes sense. I will share photos upon completion. 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Yeah the 1/2" return pipe supports, I never saw those before. Better than bent nails I guess
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Ed, I first saw that pipe stub support in a 1932 and 1938 building.
    Leads me to believe that was the original path for returns here.

Holes probably made with a star drill and 2 lb hammer....anyone remember that method?
  • Dayton_Dude
    Options
    well once the repair is done I am going to keep the original return there as décor
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    @JUGHNE
    Most people wouldn't know a star drill unless it hit them between the eyes. There is a reason the old jobs didn't have many anchors!!!

The other place I notice the same thing is duct work. Now everyone is happy to shoot screws. In the old days with a corded drill with a 1/8" drill bit, an awl and a flat head screwdriver the duct work didn't get many screws or hangers.

I started in 73' at an oil company, it was common to service oil burner running that had been installed in the 20s & 30s, real soot makers. Oil was cheap, no one had any incentive to up grade

My boss had been hired by the same company in 1946. He told me the first job was threading 2" pipe by hand for two weeks straight. They were too cheap to buy a threader and labor was probably $2.00/hr