Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
2 pipe "missing link" system???
I recently moved into a new home with steam heat, and not only is it my first steam system but it also appears to be a rare one based on what little I have been able to find already.
Here are the details:
- All of my radiators have 2 pipes
- Both pipes are on the bottom of the radiators (one on each side)
- Both pipes have an open/close valve
- One pipe is always slightly smaller than the other
- All of my radiators have an adjustable vent (a few different types, but all are adjustable)
- I have 2 different styles of radiator. Two rads are short but wide and have the typical accordion look and all the rest are taller and have a double wide row of vertical pipes
My actual problem/s:
- I need to work on balancing the system, but want to make sure I should approach it like a 1-pipe system (new vents and slow adjustments?)
- I am getting water hammer from only the 2 accordion type rads mentioned above, not sure where to start
PS: The home was not used in the winter for the last 10 years so not much attention was given to balancing and noise
Any help is much appreciated!