Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

unimatch 24 volt feeder with 2 terminals.. not marked which is hot and which is neutral

Options
Joseph_4
Joseph_4 Member Posts: 271
Hi I am working on 2 boilers that both have an old unimatch 24 volt feeder for steam with only 2 terminals.. not marked which is hot and which is neutral. does anyone know which is hot and which is neutral or have wiring diagram?
Thanks
Joe

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    You don't have a hot and neutral with 24V.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    If I am not mistaken,  the older, 2 wire models, did not have a constant hot. One wire is neutral and one is hot only when there is a call for feed. 
  • Joseph_4
    Options
    Im trying to connect the new hydrolevel CG400 LWCO to the old feeder. quoting from instructions from hydrolevel (and Im asking for help cuz I dont want to short out either the feeder or the LWCO) " For water feeders with 2 leads, connect feeder neutral to terminal 2 and feeder hot to terminal A"
    Thanks
    Joe
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    Options
    Is the old feeder still wired? You should be able to manually trace the wires backwards. 
  • Joseph_4
    Options
    one of them is... but runs into main power supply then goes into old Honeywell ring LWCO (not so familar with) and has second #67 LWCO so instead of breaking my head I was looking for an easier trip ;)
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    First, do yourself a favor and get a SafeGaurd, not a CycleGaurd.

Second, are you reading the instructions for a 24V model or the 120v model?

Again, there's no hot and neutral on the secondary side of a 24v transformer.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    Options
    See attached. I am assuming that H is for hot and N is for neutral. 
  • Joseph_4
    Options
    ok you were right....the wording went to hydrolevel site on 24v model says connect to "feeder common" and the "feeder hot" to terminal A... how do i know which is which?
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    Options
    The MM 67 does not have a neutral. All wires running to the 67 are "hot". Not familiar with the Honeywell. Maybe you can post some pics.  
  • Joseph_4
    Options
    thats my problem those instructions have 3 terminals how can i make any assumption if control was changed
  • Joseph_4
    Options
    here is pic
  • Joseph_4
    Options
    ok will be at tomm.. will let u know..
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,845
    edited November 2020
    Options

See attached. I am assuming that H is for hot and N is for neutral. 

H on the LWCO is the same as R on a 24V transformer and
    N on the LWCO is the same as C on a 24V transformer

They have changed-up the designation to be able to use the C designation for Common on the NO and NC contacts in the LWCO. If you look at the internal wiring of the LWCO, C is common on the switch to B and W

To answer the OP question, Eliminate the wire from H to H on the LWCO to the feeder. Then it won't matter which wire is the B or the N. With only two wires you just need 24V alternating current (AC) since there is no additional circuit to deal with. You can reverse the wires and get the same result.

In the diagram for the Hydrolevel control, just eliminate the wire that I have colored pink.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Joseph_4
    Options
    Thank you so much Ed.. awesome!! Will implement  today.
    Joe