Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Globe Valve Issue

Options
klal
klal Member Posts: 26
I have an old globe valve (I think it is a globe) that could use a new washer. When I took it off to inspect last season, and reassembled, the valve leaked when the washer assembly (not sure what that part is called) was put back in place. Oddly enough, if it is fully removed, as it is now, there are no leaks. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,343
    Options
    What, exactly, do you mean by "leaks"? Not a stupid question -- does it drip around the valve stem? Does it allow flow when it should be off? Very different problems.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • klal
    klal Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Sorry, I should've been clearer with my post. It drips around the valve stem. So I've removed it for the time being (the valve is always open), and as long as that interior piece with the washer is not included it doesn't drip. I tried multiple times taking it on and off to see if I hadn't seated it properly, but it didn't help.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,343
    Options
    Have to admit that I've never seen the like. What is that washer made of? I take it that when that piece is completely out, it doesn't leak around the valve stem? Then there must be some packing of some sort in there which is ok... but... I'd love to handle it, but frankly without holding it in hand I'm at a bit of a loss. Sorry!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,306
    Options
    Hi, I can make some guesses :p The valve should be fully open when put back together, so there is no pressure from the washer and valve stem on the bonnet of the valve. If it wasn't, that "might" have put strain on the valve/packing, causing the drip. Also, it looks like what might be a mating surface is pretty corroded (or worn) and might want to be resurfaced or replaced.

Yours, Larry