Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Copper risers...how big a deal?

Options
in the middle of a major kitchen remodel and have access to 3 runouts and risers to small radiators in the kitchen and 2nd floor bath which i see have been laid out in 1"copper from a previous renovation. Its perhaps a total of 60 linear feet

Having read and researched I know that "near boiler" piping should never be a copper job...(re-did near boiler 6 years ago for this reason). Is it critical/important enough to spend the extra $$ now to replace these copper pipes. Will these risers/runouts create boiler issues in the same way that near boiler piping does?

forgive me if this is a hot topic but I Did a bit of searching and did not see a specific callout on copper risers... i

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,345
    Options
    Probably not, provided they are free to expand and contract linearly. If they are restrained somehow, or if expansion and contraction of the longer straight pieces puts a twist on a joint, maybe.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • BigRedSteam
    BigRedSteam Member Posts: 21
    Options
    thanks...any concerns with joints failing or corrosion in the boiler or mains from dissimilar metals ?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,345
    Options
    Again, most likely not. Any dissimilar metal corrosion would be right where the copper joins the iron -- if any occurred at all.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Neild5
    Neild5 Member Posts: 167
    Options
    If you see any signs at any of the joints of hard water deposits I would replace all of it.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    The copper risers will cause no issues as far as how the system operates.

The problem is with expansion and contraction (copper expands more than steel) and puts stress on the sweat joints.

If you have any sweat joints with no access inside the walls I think I would address those. If the joints are acessable I so they could be repaired in the future I would let it go.
    BigRedSteam
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 659
    Options
    If not insulated, this would probably be the time to do so.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
    luketheplumber