Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Which radiator vent do you prefer?

Options
fxrgrunt
fxrgrunt Member Posts: 157

Which radiator vent do you prefer? 4 votes

Hoffman 1a
0%
Vent Rite #1
100%
GsmithBobCdennis53steamer77 4 votes

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
  • fxrgrunt
    Options
    Do you find that the non adjustable work better than the adjustable sort? The price is definitely much better on the MOM. Thanks.

ethicalpaul
  • ethicalpaul
    Options
    I haven't had much luck with the adjustable ones, but I don't think I've tried the ones that people really like.

The MoM ones are sort of manually adjustable because the orifice at the top is exchangeable with the other MoM sizes. So you can resize them without removing the whole vent.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    fxrgrunt
  • fxrgrunt
    Options
    I haven't had much luck with the adjustable ones, but I don't think I've tried the ones that people really like. The MoM ones are sort of manually adjustable because the orifice at the top is exchangeable with the other MoM sizes. So you can resize them without removing the whole vent.
    I didnt realize you could resize them. That's a nice feature especially considering the very reasonable price vs the other adjustable ones.
    ethicalpaul
  • ethicalpaul
    Options
    I've always thought so. And once you have it sized right, you basically never touch it again so they've worked well for me.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    fxrgrunt
  • dabrakeman
    dabrakeman Member Posts: 553
    Options
    I like the adjustables in general because quite often my room heating needs "adjust" :)

I have mostly Hoffman 1a's. I did learn something already looking up comparative details on the Vent-Rite #1 after seeing this discussion:
    "The Vent-Rite 1 has the ability to select very limited venting: The 1 setting is essentially closed, and you can select any setting through 3 before the venting is equivalent to the Hoffman setting of 1. So when you have a radiator that you want to limit the venting even beyond the range of the Hoffman 1A, then the Vent Rite 1 is what you want." (c340pilot review in Amazon January 8, 2016)

Inability for a very slow rate is my only beef with the Hoffman 1a. For my bedroom radiator for instance where I don't like much heat I just can't get the Hoffman low enough. Taking the 1a apart the nautilus shaped disc that rotates over the vent hole seems radially imprecise and axially unless both surfaces are perfectly flat cannot really close. I really cannot get the 1a to close even lining things up perfectly with the cap off and screwing it down tight. I haven't looked inside a Vent-Rite. Anyone have a picture of the sealing element system inside it? Similar/different? Setting 1 on the Vent-Rite is essentially "off" per the Gerry Gill and Steve Pajek measurements. The Hoffman 1a on setting 1 still measures a 0.02CFM at 1oz pressure. The Vent-Rite might work better for me than the Gerry rigged system I cobbled onto that radiator for now (which works for the time being).

On the other hand I have two radiators that I like to vent fast (all personal reasons again, someone else with the same house and system may vent differently) and they are wide open Hoffman 1a's. Wide open the Vent-Rites are at .083 vs the 1A at .145. So, on those radiators I might be disappointed if only had the Vent-Rite #1's.

Does someone make an adjustable that closes at the low end and goes as high as the Hoffman 1A at the high end...and is good quality, precise and dependable. Might as well throw cheap in there too since the answer is probably no anyway :)
    fxrgrunt
  • fxrgrunt
    Options
    I like the adjustables in general because quite often my room heating needs "adjust" :) I have mostly Hoffman 1a's. I did learn something already looking up comparative details on the Vent-Rite #1 after seeing this discussion: "The Vent-Rite 1 has the ability to select very limited venting: The 1 setting is essentially closed, and you can select any setting through 3 before the venting is equivalent to the Hoffman setting of 1. So when you have a radiator that you want to limit the venting even beyond the range of the Hoffman 1A, then the Vent Rite 1 is what you want." (c340pilot review in Amazon January 8, 2016) Inability for a very slow rate is my only beef with the Hoffman 1a. For my bedroom radiator for instance where I don't like much heat I just can't get the Hoffman low enough. Taking the 1a apart the nautilus shaped disc that rotates over the vent hole seems radially imprecise and axially unless both surfaces are perfectly flat cannot really close. I really cannot get the 1a to close even lining things up perfectly with the cap off and screwing it down tight. I haven't looked inside a Vent-Rite. Anyone have a picture of the sealing element system inside it? Similar/different? Setting 1 on the Vent-Rite is essentially "off" per the Gerry Gill and Steve Pajek measurements. The Hoffman 1a on setting 1 still measures a 0.02CFM at 1oz pressure. The Vent-Rite might work better for me than the Gerry rigged system I cobbled onto that radiator for now (which works for the time being). On the other hand I have two radiators that I like to vent fast (all personal reasons again, someone else with the same house and system may vent differently) and they are wide open Hoffman 1a's. Wide open the Vent-Rites are at .083 vs the 1A at .145. So, on those radiators I might be disappointed if only had the Vent-Rite #1's. Does someone make an adjustable that closes at the low end and goes as high as the Hoffman 1A at the high end...and is good quality, precise and dependable. Might as well throw cheap in there too since the answer is probably no anyway :)
    I am running mostly 1As but have a vent rite #1 on my dining room radiator that I felt I need to slow down so I am seeing how that goes at the moment. It is much quieter than the Hoffman's and as far as I can tell does not have the loud click either.
  • luketheplumber
    luketheplumber Member Posts: 149
    Options
    I wish that I could vote on this but unfortunately, I'm just a Carolinian that really only see's steam systems in his pipe dreams!
    I just earned my GED and am looking for a apprenticeship with one of these steam gurus on this site!
    fxrgruntethicalpaulErin Holohan Haskell