Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Where to connect the thermostat ?

Options
SEMA
SEMA Member, Email Confirmation Posts: 4
edited November 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
I am a homeowner who has kept an ancient Tappan forced hot air oil furnace running for the past 25 years. Came across a 'deal' on a used furnace. I was told it was fully operational when removed from a cabin in Maine to put in a gas furnace. It looks like it did not get a lot of use so I took a chance.

I have line voltage to the new to me/used furnace it but I cannot figure out where to attach my self powered thermostat that was switching 24V on the old Tappan. I do not have any AC equipment which is where I get confused. I cannot find a diagram to connect the thermostat when there is no AC.

I tired connecting the thermostat between the two TT terminals. When I turn the furnace on all I get is one immediate and very quick flash from The green LED and that's all folks. No motor, no attempt at starting, nothing at all. The LED remains off after the one quick blink. Here is the model number and other info. Do I have to publish photos on another website to have them show up on here ?

Olsen HTL 100c 17,000 to 119,000 forced air furnace.
Beckett AF65XN burner with a solenoid valve on the pump.
Honey well 7184B controller with EnvironCom showing on the label.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Say what? You have no 120 VAC? You have to have 120 VAC to power both the burner and the controller... the thermostat is just a switch (on, off) across T-T on the controller.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • SEMA
    Options
    Beginning of 2nd paragraph I said I have line voltage to the furnace. My mistake. I should have said I have 120 volts to the furnace. Sorry for the confusion.

New info, If I jumper the R and G terminals on the relay, the relay clicks and the large blower in the bottom of the furnace and provides air to the house, turns on.

A jumper across the two TT terminals does nothing.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    If a jumper across T-T doesn't turn things on, there's some kind of problem with the 2184B. What the problem is... without being there, couldn't say. Could be as simple as the Cad Cell not hooked up or shorted. Could be as simple as one or more of the limits open. Could be...

If a jumper across T-T turns on the furnace, but the thermostat doesn't, the problem is in the thermostat or thermostat wiring.

I suspect Figure 3 in the manual is correct for your installation.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    Make sure your getting line voltage to the furnace. It should come from your breaker (or fuse) box, then through your furnace emergency switch (up stairs or at the top of the basement stairs) if you have one, through the ceiling mounted firomatic switch (if you have one) go through your service switch on the furnace then through your high limit to the cad cell control on the burner.

If you have 120 at the control jumping t-t on the control should start the burner. if it does not, disconnect one of the cad cell wires. you could have a defective cad cell.

and by all means make sure you combustion test the burner when you get it running
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Post some pics. Where is R,C,G,Y,W? On the primary with with reset button or a separate relay and transformer mounted somewhere else? Can you jump R and W?
    The fact that the primary blinked green when you turned on the power should mean there's 120v present. Jumping TT on the primary should start with burner. 
    Do you have an electrical meter?
  • SEMA
    Options
    Working on it again today. I'll start by checking the cad cell and report back. All safety equipment is still in place and fully functional with the old Tappan.

I'm trying to test the Olsen before I install it. I want to make sure it works first.

If I could post pics directly I would. I have several ready to go but am not able to put them on here. Only choice I get when trying to do so is to provide the URL where they are online but they are not online anywhere. No email confirmation has been sent to me after repeated attempts.

R,C,G,Y,W is on a separate transformer mounted elsewhere and next to a relay. Figured out that is solely for the AC function. I have no AC. There are only two wires on the transformer terminals. They go to each side of the relay coil.

The 7184B (with EnvironCom) controller has a green led and reset button on the left. A small 3-pin set or terminals at top right. Below that are four terminals going down marked 1, 2, 3/T, T. 1 at top. T at bottom.

The 3T and T terminals are what I am jumping to see if it turns on the burner. Jumping TT and looking more closely at it, I can see a tiny spark so apparently something is connecting but there is no relay click as I (maybe a mistake) think there should be.
  • SEMA
    Options
    I tried reading the manual. It explained that the burner doesn't start spinning until the controller goes through a check list. My old Tappan was instant on as soon as the thermostat switched it on.

Surprise surprise

I tried waiting for several seconds after turning on the power and suddenly the burner motor started to spin. I'm all set now. I'm satisfied the furnace is what it is supposed to be. Two days trying to figure this one out and plain ignorance was the problem.

Thanks for the help everyone. Next thing I do is call the heating oil company to see when they can get someone here to install this for me. Hopefully the fact that it is a used furnace will not deter them.

Wondering if there is anything I can do ahead of time to save time and money when the installer is here.

Also I was wondering if it's worth keeping the two line oil supply/return the Tappan uses or if the single line setup the Olsen has is ok. The heating oil tank is outside and the bottom of it is higher than the burner.

One last thing is that I want to get rid of the'ball-of-string' oil filter and put in a new spin-on type. Any recommendation on which filter head to get ?