Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lighting old American gas boiler

Options
Ecks1080
Ecks1080 Member Posts: 4
We have an old American standard gas boiler. Model G25 fpb, series Gbr J5. I’m reading the directions but cannot find the “B” valve. Even the “A” valve is already in the OFF position and doesn’t want to go into the ON and seems to have been that way. It’s weird. I do have pictures if needed. It’s an older unit too.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Pics please.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Ecks1080
    Options

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Back up for pictures of all the gas piping including the pipe just outside of the unit.
    We need to see the big picture.

Was this working for you last season?
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    That doesn't look like the original gas valve, if so, the lighting instructions are not valid.

1. Turn the switch off.
    2. Rotate the knob on the gas valve where it points to "Pilot".
    3. Depress the red button next to the knob and continue to hold it down. Don't release it.
    4. Light the pilot while continuing to hold the red button firmly down for at least one minute.
    5. Release the red button. The pilot should now remain lit.
    6. Rotate the knob to point to "On".
    7. Turn the switch back on.

The boiler should now operate.

If the pilot does not remain lit after releasing the red button, the thermocouple is probably bad a needs replacing.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Ecks1080
    Options
    It was working last season yes. I’m in Massachusetts so it’s officially heat weather haha
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    @Ecks1080

Hmm. Have you any experience working with gas? For safety reasons, it worries me at times to offer advice on lighting gas boilers.

From what I can tell is that the pilot valve has been removed. And from the directions offered in your picture that valve was originally installed off of the "A" valve.

So far, and without any further pictures posted. Your gas supply to this boiler has been modified and does not represent the directions posted on the boiler.

I would add a few more pictures. And , for safety sake, call a professional. Have them light the unit.
  • Ecks1080
    Options
    Appreciate the help guys! It’s on and running. The directions on it are dumb haha
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    Those directions are spot on for your OEM gas valve. Heck they even made so you didn't have to reach way in to lit the pilot like you did this time.
    Intplm.