Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Efficiency of the condensing boiler...

Options
Skyline
Skyline Member Posts: 152
After going though an extensive evaluation for replacing my old boiler, took me two moth, it has been replaced over a month ego. The first full month of energy utilization for my new boiler, Viessmann Vitodens 222-F, B2TB, has arrived and I am still in shock.

I really didn't have much expectation for saving in the gas and power bills. Especially, after my contractor stated, that I should expect about 20% drop in NG usage.

Well, I was wrong and so was he. This is what my utitlity company states for the gas bill, quote:

While the avarage temperature had been 55F for the period, instead of 54F last year, 40% lower NG usage seems unbelievable. Certainly, I was shocked, did not anticipate this type of reduction on NG utilization. It's unlikely that 1F made that much difference, the more likely is that my 20 years old boiler had been a dog by the end of its life.

I also sort of anticipated, that the power bill will go up substancially, It didn't, but nor did it drop:

Based on my monitoring the power utilization for the last couple of weeks with "Kill-a-Watt", in a month timeframe the boiler utlizes about 25 KWh. That's translates to about $5.50 per month at my utility rate. This certainly made me not worry much about the power utilization.

I'll be monitoring my utlity bills, really curious how the winter month utility bills will look like. In either case...

I love my new boiler, but certainly much more than last week... ;):)

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,335
    Options
    Goes to show what can be done by replacing an old boiler with a modern one...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Skyline
    Skyline Member Posts: 152
    Options
    Yes, replacing the old one always does. When I've purchased this house, it had a Weil-McLain 250K BTU oil burner, converted to NG. That did have high NG bills, even in the summer. The Triangle Tube boiler cut down on that bill substancially too. Maybe not 40%, but I liked that boiler 20 years ego...