Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell HZ311 Does not turn Air handler

I install a new HZ311 and it does not turn on Air handler when thermostat on auto for Heat, when I switch the thermostat on Fan the Air handler working fine. For the AC air handler work . following is an image of my connection

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    New thermostat, too? What kind of heat do you have, gas/oil or electric/heat pump? Some systems need the thermostat to turn on the fan also when heating.
  • Elahiata
    Elahiata Member Posts: 3
    Thanks , Oil for heating and thermostat Honeywell thermostat t8775a1009. I had Honeywell mini zone and replace it with HZ311. I did not have this problem before I changed the controller.
    Thanks
  • ratio
    Did just the burner come on when the thermostat called for heat, or nothing happened at all?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Was the power off when you took the pic? No lights. 
    The bottom left Red and White wires are 24v to power the zone panel. Is that powered by a separate transformer other than the air handlers transformer? I usually use the air handlers transformer and use a jumper between R and Rc.

• Elahiata
    Elahiata Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for you comments
    When I call for heat the burner start, but Air Handler does not, the picture I took when system was off, The power to the Hz311 comes from Air Handler and I switch the wires on HZ311 Power , also connect RH and RC with jumper t no changes
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Did the Mini Zone have dip switches to operate fan on heat mode? If your model was the same as the screenshot, then dip switch 7 was probably set to Off. If so you might need the HZ322 so the panel can be programmed to operate fan during heat mode. 
  • ratio
    Set the thermostats to provide a fan call during a heating call. There should be a switch for that, although it may be called 'gas - electric' or something. You want 'electric'.
  • PolychromeUganda
    PolychromeUganda Member Posts: 14
    The Honeywell HZ311 is a multi-zone control explicitly designed for hydronic heating applications. Page 6 of the wiring diagrams shows hydro-air wiring with the notation “Thermostats need to be configured to energize fan in heat.“ for the HZ311 while the same note on the same page for the HZ322 says “Zone panel need to be configured to energize fan in heat.“ ... the 8775A is a heat-only thermostat with no fan contacts, the 8775C does have fan control and dip switches to set up fan in heating. I suggest you call the 800 number on the last page of the wiring brochure and find out what you’re expected to configure and how it’s supposed to be wired.

I didn’t spot any configuration instructions in any of the available documentation I can find so I would infer that the note must refer to other equipment. I get the overall impression that it’s intended for use with A/C and radiation, not a hot air furnace and that in some marketing meeting after the product’s design was finished someone said “what if there’s a hydronic heating coil on the air handler” and all they could do was add a note to the instructions. In other words, the note is cryptic to avoid saying “find something else to turn on the fan in heating mode, this device won’t do that” in just so many words. It may also be that they didn’t include the function because any thermostat you would use it with has the fan control required. The 800 number may have details about how to do that with specific components you haven’t mentioned.

If all else fails and you’re stuck with this control and thermostat you would have to add a relay to run the fan when it’s calling for heat. That’s not a very good idea if you have any other choices, and it will require more expertise than your question suggests you have in order to figure out what wires to use to control the relay. It may have to be a 24v transformer and relay as a buffer stage in the Rh-W pair to supply separate contact closures for the heating plant’s Rh-W pair and however the fan is controlled/energized.