Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need help to identify this device

Ross_7
Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
edited October 2020 in THE MAIN WALL

Fellow WetHeads. Would anyone like to chime in on the identification of this device. I have run into this once before, but can't find any reference in any of my old heating books. Thanks for the help!

Comments

• mikeapolis
    mikeapolis Member Posts: 46
    Is that on the boiler return?
    DanHolohan
  • Ross_7
    Hi Mike. No sir that bottom pipe is coming from the supply on the boiler
  • mikeapolis
    Looks like there's an air port on top. B&G part? I've never seen one of those.
  • Ross_7
    I have a call in to Hydro-Flo (My B&G rep) right now to see if they can dig something up on it.
    mikeapolis
  • Ross_7
    I stand corrected. It is on the return. I'm guessing that this is a common header for all of the returns. This might allow a person to shut off each individual return coming back to the boiler, and purge each loop individually via the boiler drain that is mounted on the side?
  • mikeapolis
    Sure would be fun to take that thing apart and see what's on the inside.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    A manifold with balancing valves? Notice the adjustment scale on each one.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • JuanSoto
    JuanSoto Member Posts: 1
    Hydraulic separator
    Grallert
  • mikeapolis
    Did you ever find out what it is?
  • Ross_7
    Update: This device is at my cousin Jeff's house. House was built in 1953. I managed to stop by yesterday and get a better look at this device. All of the boiler piping is pretty cobbled up. There is a Schrader core at the top, when you loosen the cap, it spews more water than air, but some air did manage to come out. The two 3/4" balancing valves facing us in the picture seem to be tied together with 3/4" outlets opposite to them on the "manifold" we'll call it. The increments are " 0, 1/2, 3/4, 1". They were not getting any heat to the top floor of the house. I managed to get the valve closest in the picture to open farther to "1" and the pipe opposite started to heat up, which is as far as I can tell is the return for the upstairs loop. As far as I can tell, this item serves two purposes, as a balancing manifold for split loops, and purging. I stopped by after work yesterday, I will post more pictures when I get a chance. The only markings I saw on it were an "H" and a "G", if I recall. No other markings.
    mikeapolis