Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Smart Thermostat options

cheftim_2
cheftim_2 Member Posts: 29
I converted my house to radiant floor heat around 10 years ago.
Installed a Buderus oil furnace with the R2107.
I have the primary loop in the house running of the mixing valve and an FM241 card.
I have another loop in a well insulated converted garage floor that's now part of the house run off a Taco iSeries.
The third loop is for second floor of the house which is also running off a Taco iSeries.

I think my FM241 card bit the dust (or the mixing valve) so I have to replace something there.

This got me to thinking about all of these newer smart thermostats on the market. The loops on Taco's are pretty comfortable, but I do find myself tweaking the knob once in a while when it gets really cold. I do have the outdoor sensors on them.

Anyone here have thoughts on interfacing these devices for control of at least the Taco loops and possibly the FM241 loop?

Some of them have remote room sensors, floors sensor, and AI to learn the room characteristics over time. I like the idea of having the information readily available on an app as well.

Thanks for any and all input.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    You should only use a thermostat that's designed specifically for radiant floors. A Tekmar 518 or 519 (same stat) Honeywell
    TH6100AF are the main ones we use.

Tekmar has other that are higher end with wifi capability, but require their house network.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Before you condemn the card check the transformer powering the mixing valve
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • cheftim_2
    cheftim_2 Member Posts: 29
    Thanks Big Ed_4, I'll check the transformer out.

What's happening is that when the mixing valve is plugged into the card, it immediately pegs the valve all the way to cold.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    cheftim_2 said:

Thanks Big Ed_4, I'll check the transformer out.

What's happening is that when the mixing valve is plugged into the card, it immediately pegs the valve all the way to cold.

That could be caused by a bad sensor.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.