Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

My boiler has automatic fill - how do I adjust the water level?

Options
tjdumez
tjdumez Member Posts: 10
Last winter my boiler level was right where it should be - maybe 3/4 full, slightly more. I flush it regularly so I open the low water cut off, drain some water and the fill valve returns the water level to it's proper spot.
However this fall the water level is super low - as seen by the pictures. How do I adjust the water level?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Are you certain the fill valve is opening to let water into the boiler?
    Is the LWCO cutting off the burner as you flush it? It may be time for a teardown and cleaning of the float chamber, (order a gasket kit first!)--NBC
    mikeapolis
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    Er... um... in your picture the water level is exactly where the MM 67 operates. Which is perhaps, low, perhaps not. But I agree with @nicholas bonham-carter -- is the fill valve opening? Are the isolating valves for the feeder open (assuming you have them...)?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    1/3 water level would be correct ..

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• tjdumez
    tjdumez Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Big Ed_4 said:

1/3 water level would be correct ..

...how about that. Allow me to explain myself.
    I moved into this house in spring, just after heating season. I knew enough to drain some water out of the boiler every week that the boiler was in use, and I noted the water level at the top mark on the sight glass. I would drain some water, auto-fill brought it right back to that mark.

A lower level does make a bit of sense. Thanks guys!