Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Time to make some threads

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
Due to issues with burrs on the last units we made I'm going to be milling some female 1/8" NPT threads in 316SS soon.

The things I like about thread milling is if a break the threadmill off it simply falls out of the hole.  I can also adjust it so my threads fit a specific part perfectly with little to no slop.  When done right and compared I feel it makes tapped threads feel pretty terrible.

This will be my first time doing NPT threads with one.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options
    So does the part need to rotate and move up and down the pitch of the thread as it rotates?
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    mattmia2 said:
    So does the part need to rotate and move up and down the pitch of the thread as it rotates?
    On my machine the part moves in X and Y and the tool spins and moves in Z (vertical).

I'm going to try and take a video of it in the next few days.

I've done a lot of normal threads but this will be my first time milling npt threads
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

On my machine the part moves in X and Y and the tool spins and moves in Z (vertical).

I've done a lot of normal threads but this will be my first time milling npt threads
    Does that mean that the tool rotates around the work, or am I misunderstanding?
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    ratio said:

Does that mean that the tool rotates around the work, or am I misunderstanding?
    The tool spins like a drill bit and moves up and down and the part  moves around horizontally.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    This video shows how it works.

https://youtu.be/rDnavOlGcdc
    CanuckerSolid_Fuel_Man
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    That's awesome. Do you use it to make male threads too?
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    ratio said:
    That's awesome. Do you use it to make male threads too?
    Yessir.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    great animation!
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options
    without a cnc mill you would need a mill that was pretty much just built for thread cutting.
    CLamb
  • Lard
    Lard Member Posts: 115
    Options
    I have been using a high-performance two-flute PCD (diamond) threadmill at work.  M24x1.25 inside threads in aluminum in about one second.  18,000 RPM and .3mm/rev (automotive left the inch system long long ago) Up to this point all I have used is been plain ‘ol Emuge carbide.

Love the remark about how a broken threadmill just falls out. The threads are still usually junk, but broken taps=sadness.  Broken spindles = even more sadness.  G0 does not a G1 make.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,837
    Options
    I really enjoyed reading this THREAD! or is this a POST? maybe a discussion?

I'll call it a Thread, mainly for the content
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics