Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

burner kicks on with thermostat off.

Options
2»

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,386
    Options
    Important question: does the boiler build pressure when all the zone valves are closed?

If it doesn't, you have much bigger problems... that have nothing to do with the controls.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • nicksxvs
    nicksxvs Member Posts: 50
    edited February 2021
    Options
    it goes up to 4 pounds and shuts off. after it shuts off it goes up to 5.5 then drops to 2.5 lbs and turns on.
  • nicksxvs
    Options
    on a forced air furnace the thermostat sends a signal to the draft inducer then ignitor and on to the gas valve. is it possible for a tech guy to get this boiler to work off the thermostat with the equipment that is on this machine or will he need to make big changes.
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    nicksxvs said:

it goes up to 4 pounds and shuts off. after it shuts off it goes up to 5.5 then drops to 2.5 lbs and turns on.

nicksxvs said:

on a forced air furnace the thermostat sends a signal to the draft inducer then ignitor and on to the gas valve. is it possible for a tech guy to get this boiler to work off the thermostat with the equipment that is on this machine or will he need to make big changes.

Probably much higher than it needs to be -- I'd be the system would run fine on 2 psi cutoff -- but at least it does cut off. Had me a little worried there...

And yes, it should be perfectly possible for a competent person to rewire all your controls to do that. If there are end switches which are working on the zone valves he or she won't even need fancy relays (if there aren't, he or she will). Basically thermostat to zone valve, one to one. Then zone valves in parallel to the burner control. Depending on exactly how the thing is wired, the safeties may be in series in the burner control circuit, or in the 120 volt circuit, or with some burner controls to a separate circuit on the burner control. He or she should know that.

Make darn sure that all the safeties actually work after he or she gets done -- particularly if there are signs of hesitation or confusion.

Don't throw anything away, and record, meticulously, how it is wired now, so you can go back if it doesn't work or you don't like the results.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • nicksxvs
    Options
    thanks for letting me know it can be done, hopefully i can do it and save some money..i have to do a wiring diagram, and find out how to get a 120 volt system to work with 24 volts. i turned the differential wheel and the boiler came on at 1 pound and shut off at three. the boiler only ran a couple minutes so i put it back to on at 2.5 and off at 4lbs. the zones were closed. So i'll have to get the zones open and see if i can get it down to 2lbs off and how low can it be set to cut in? 1/2lb?... There must be a timer somewhere there's a click like a relay and the burner motor comes on then a pause and the pilot signal light comes on then the burner, maybe there's a timer in the gas valve.
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    The clicks and delays which you mention will be in the burner controls. Unless you really truly know exactly what you are doing, don't mess with the burner controls! The time delays in the burner controls are there for safety reasons.

With the zones closed it's not surprising that it came up to pressure quickly. That's very good news -- no leaks, or at least no serious ones -- in the boiler.

You very much need a wiring diagram. Parts of the boiler wiring may be 120 VAC -- particularly some of the safety devices. The burner and its control box will be 120 VAC. Keep in mind as you work through it that some of the devices may be simple switches, like a thermostat or the zone valve end switches. They don't supply power to anything; all those do is complete -- or open -- circuits in response to various conditions.
    Br. Jamie, osb