Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Make of boiler

amm
amm Member Posts: 1
edited October 2020 in Gas Heating
hi I’m a consumer looking to replace my gas boiler. Is a viesman quality far surpass that of a Dunkirk? I got 2 estimates with a difference of $$ with the viesman costing more. I want a good quality boiler that will not cause me problem down the road 

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,275
    Whoa. First, the installer is more important than the make of boiler, so be sure that the installer really knows the boiler and likes to work on it.

Second, make sure the installer does a proper Manual J heat loss on the house if this is hot water, or properly adds up the radiation, if it is steam, and sizes the boiler accordingly.

Then, if ever, worry about the brand.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    @amm

We can't talk price on this forum. As @Jamie Hall pointed out the installer is most important. This forum is full of horror stories of improperly installed boilers of all makes. It's not the boilers fault, it's the installers who thing they know everything because they have been doing it for 40 years.

Pick your installer carefully and trust him to install the right boiler.

Are you looking for a cast iron boiler or a Mod Con high efficiency boiler?
  • Smitdy
    Smitdy Member Posts: 21
    edited October 2020
    Just a personal opinion but I've had much better luck if the boiler is installed with an indirect water heater. The combi units seem to have too many issues with moving parts flow switches etc. When doing high-efficiency condensing boilers I stick with fire tube boiler & stainless steel indirect. Definitely do a heat loss as the other guys have mentioned. Your contractor should be doing this before he does install anyway. When the install is complete he should be setting up the boiler with a flue gas analyser too.
    EdTheHeaterManmattmia2