Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Material for radiator bushings?

MarkNY
MarkNY Member Posts: 6
Hi all! New here, first post. I'll keep this short: I've got 6 radiators that are our getting sandblasted and powder coated. Most are original from my 1924 Tudor I think. When removing them, I couldn't get the spuds out, the tabs just sheered. So instead of cutting etc. to get the spuds out, I just removed the bushings that the spuds were installed into. I didn't measure at the time, but they are either 2" or 1.5". I'm replacing all of the valves with new ones as well, so I need to get new bushings to go from the 2"(or 1.5") down to the 1.25 of the valves. My question is, what material? I've found the normal black cast iron, but also stainless steel and brass bushings as well. Is there any functional difference, of just aesthetic? TIA!

Comments

• retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 897
    Cast or black is the norm and brass is OK but why waste money on brass and make sure you use eccentric bushings.
    ethicalpaul
  • SteamCrazy
    SteamCrazy Member Posts: 100
    Welcome. I'm surprised that bushing came I have two that won't budge when I even cut out and still had to chip off piece by piece. SMH I agree with the eccentric bushings would be nice if made in brass. Stay away from stainless threads tend to gull
    ethicalpaul
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Eccentric bushings would be good but if the were not installed with them originally it may screw you up height wise. The best thing would be to use eccentric bushings and shim the radiators up if you have too.

The bushings will be cast iron. I don.t believe they make steel in the larger sizes and the only eccentric bushing I have ever seen were cast iron never saw a brass one.

If your only going from 1 1/2- 1 1/4 you don't need to bother with eccentrics. 1/8" difference at the bottom isn't an issue
    SteamCrazyethicalpaul
  • MarkNY
    MarkNY Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for all of the replies everyone! I 'think' they are 1.5"-1.25" reducers, so an eccentric isn't going to gain much. As mentioned, it also means playing with the heights of everything, and as everything was working well before with the normal reducers, I'm inclined to stick with the same design that was there originally. As for material, it sounds like cast iron or maybe brass is the way to go. I'm looking to get some nice new brass valves, so I thought a brass reducer would complement them. Speaking of valves, anyone have experience with these: https://www.castrads.com/us/product/windsor-xl-1-25in-control-valve-natural-brass/

Yes, they are crazy expensive, but if I'm spending all this money on everything else, might as well make them look as good as possible. Unless they are junk of course!