Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One day Powerpile Gas Systems class

Options
Tim McElwain
Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
I have had a request to do this class. Is anyone else interested in such a class. Still a lot of these systems still around up here in New England. Contact me at timmcelwain@gastcri.com

Comments

• retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 909
    Options
    The only place I found this type system to be of any worth was on a properly installed steam system or on a gravity hot air or hot water system in areas where winter power outages were the norm. They worked but the thermopile output voltage and special control contacts always caused problems. my 2 cents
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    We also have a lot of them hooked up with Honeywell relays with Isolated burner circuits on Forced Hot Water System. In a power failure flip the switch on the relay to manual, open the flow check valves and you have heat on a FHW system in a Power Failure!
    STEVEusaPA
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,678
    Options
    I think it was that they were just cheap and simple for manufacturers to include, especially before total shutoff controls were required. Power the valve with the thermopile, pilot goes out, main valve can't open. Don't need a transformer or any 120v wiring on the boiler or furnace other than to a pump or blower if that is even factory installed.
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    Still looking for those who might want to attend a Powerpile one day class located in Warren, RI at Gas Appliance Service Training & Consulting.