Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking to add panel radiators to existing cast iron gas boiler and radiator system

todddos
todddos Member Posts: 2
edited October 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
Hello, I own a fully connected townhouse in Queens, NY. Top 2 floors (~1500 sqft) are heated by the original cast iron radiators and a relatively new cast iron gas boiler. I'm renovating the basement floor that currently has no heat and houses the boiler and main supply/return lines for the 2 floors above. The home is on a steep grade, so the basement is entirely above grade at the rear of the home and ~75% below grade at the front. I'm looking to add ~4 panel style radiators to the system in order to heat this floor.

Curious on suggestions of how to most affordably and simply do this. I do not necessarily need the floor and the new radiators to be on a separate zone. The will have thermostatic valves individually and should provide sufficient control. It has been suggested that I add a set of Venturi T's right at the boiler. The radiators that need to be fed will be ~ 5 ft. beneath the main supply and return lines, so it's been recommended to not T off from those lines, as the water will get trapped in the radiators and not have sufficient pressure to make it back up and to the boiler.

Questions:

- Where exactly should I put the verturi T's? I know right at the boiler, but on the supply line or the return line. And if supply line, should I place them before or after the pump?

- If Venturi T method is the simplest way to go, how do I size them? And how many do I need?

- Can I mix low mass panel radiators (Beacon Morris Series 21) with the existing higher mass cast iron radiators in the rest of the home?

Comments