Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best thermostats for steam systems

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited October 2020 in THE MAIN WALL

Best thermostats for steam systems

Read the full story here

Comments

• rjobrien
    rjobrien Member Posts: 9
    Options
    We've had good luck with a Braeburn Model 5000 with our steam system since 2009. The only feature I wish were available is the anticipation of an upcoming temp-change setting. I often notice the boiler kick on for ten minutes right before a setting change only to shut off before the boiler can build a head of steam. I either need to manually shut off the boiler close to the setting change, or to over-ride the thermostat to allow the boiler to complete its cycle. All the other features function smoothly.
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    Options
    I like Honeywell T4 or T6 series since they have adjustable cycle rate. Some T6 models will allow wired outdoor sensor as well for dual fuel setup if you have a heat pump for mild weather which I think works well if you are zoned upstairs and downstairs with ducted HVAC systems.

VisionPro allows wireless remote sensors so you can average upstairs and downstairs or multiple downstairs rooms with upstairs.
    mikeapolis fenkelranzerox
  • tctulloch
    tctulloch Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I have a Burnham SIN4LNC-LE2 steam boiler. The first floor of our home has single pipe radiators and a very old White Rodgers thermostat(2 wires Rh and W). The boiler also has a hot water loop with a Taco circulator pump that provides heat to the baseboard on the second floor, with a Honeywell digital thermostat(2 wires R and W). Is there a smart thermostat that could control both zones? At the very least I'd like to replace the White Rodgers thermostat.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,287
    Options
    You've resurrected a VERY old thread, friend, but I did see it. The direct answer to your question is no, you can't control two zones in two different locations with one thermostat. There are some very fancy control systems which can take the input from two or more sensors and use that to, in turn, control several zones individually or average them, but that is probably overkill. If you want individual zone control, you need individual thermostats.

What's wrong with the White Rodgers? If it's working, I'd leave it alone. If it isn't, I'd get one of the less expensive Honeywell/Resideo units, like the CT87K, or one of the battery powered programmables either from Honeywell or from any of a number of other people. Stay away from fancier ones like the Net or Ecobee -- not because they aren't good; they are, but they are no better than a good battery powered one -- but because they can be quite problematic to hook up to the system.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England