Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tempering tank

Options
I have a question on tempering tank installs. I live in Colorado and believe it or not the winters here aren't as arctic as people think. Im contemplating using my old tank water heater as a tempering tank in the winter. I will remove the shell and insulation and add a heat run to the space to help it warm. My question for you is, do I need to install a uv light after the tank to prevent everyone from getting sick, and would it make sense for me to pipe a bypass and drain the tempering tank in the summer?

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,304
    Options
    Hi, Wouldn't the tank pick up more heat in summer? Why not just leave it hooked up ahead of your water heater all the time? Also, do check the anode in it to make sure you get more life from it.

Yours, Larry

ps, Not sure what you mean by "heat run" ??
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    I would just let it pick up the ambient room temperature, insulated the way it is. As long as it is above freezing :) I think adding heat to a cool space room to warm an uninsulated tank may be counter productive?
    In this day and age it may be wise to keep the main tank set at 140 to kill any potential bacteria. Add a 3 way mixing valve set at 115- 120 to protect occupants from scalding hot water.
    So the first tank tempers the water to whatever temperature it can get from the space, the current tank does the boost.

Think of it as more of a well tank, just adding that storage capacity.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    If you remove the jacket and insulation, and if the temperature of the tank is below dew point, then it's gonna condensate (sweat) and rust out. All of this to warm this tank with heat that's been provided by your heating system so that the water heater won't have to provide that amount of heat? I'm a little slow: how's this gonna be beneficial?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.