Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat zone question.

Redduc97
Redduc97 Member Posts: 15
I'm designing a new heating system(not a professional) and I have a 400 s.f. family room with about 24' of baseboard heat. Could I add a new basement room to this to help with short cycling? Both rooms would be on one zone controlled by a t-stat in the family room.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,165
    If you have separate zone pumps, you could also arrange a thermostatically controlled mixing valve to bring some of the return from that baseboard back into the feed to the baseboard, and run the baseboard at a constant temperature all the time... look up primary/secondary piping!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    It's all about the boiler output matched to the heat emitter. What type and size of boiler? If it is a non modulating cast iron for example, that would be a very small load and would lend itself to short cycling. 24' of fin tube might be around a 12- 15,000 BTU/hr load., figure around 550 btu/ ft of finned tube as a starting point.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Redduc97
    Redduc97 Member Posts: 15
    I was looking at a Burnham K2 boiler (80,000 BTU) with a min. fire rate of 8000 BTU. I thought the 24' of fin tube would not keep the boiler from short cycling. I'm planning on finishing the basement room directly below this room and thought I could just add some more fin tube to the zone. The house is in Massachusetts.