Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator - how to adjust the heat?

accms
accms Member Posts: 1
Hello,

I've read about turning the control valve on the radiator to adjust the air flow. But I'm a bit confused about my radiator as it looks like it has a controller on both the left and right side. I'm not sure which one is the right one? I'm attaching pictures of the radiator and close-up of the two 'things'. The one on the left is hard, I tried turning it but couldn't, maybe I need some tools? The thing of the right can be pull up or down. It says "Close", has number ranging from 1/8 -7/8 and then "open". I think this look more like a controller but I'm not sure how to adjust it?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    The thing on the left -- the crummy looking one -- is the radiator inlet valve. It must be either fully closed (good luck with that) or fully open -- which it probably is. Leave it alone. The silver thing on the right is the vent, and is what you use to control. To reduce the heat -- within limits -- turn it to a lower number or even "close". You'll still get some heat -- but it may be enough control that way.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    Also, the vent on the right needs to be screwed in so that it is pointing "up" or it won't work right. That little "hat" on the top is what adjusts the venting speed.