Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

set up full 20 LB propane tank to old propane 2 burner stove, inconsistent green flame now

Options
PureEnergy
PureEnergy Member, Email Confirmation Posts: 1
edited October 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
Also had sprayed stove and burner with diluted tree oil to kill ants before setting up new 20 LB tank and new high pressure 12' hose to stove that had previously burned 1 LB propane cylinder. Now this burner has squeaking, slightly popping, partial green flame that burns super high all of the sudden and then can shut off immediately without any movement from me. Now there is no smell of propane when the burner shuts itself off.
Is this tree oil trapped in the burner itself? Or is there propane in that tank since it doesn't smell like it? Or are there impurities that are burning out of that stove from a 2 year use? Or are there impurities burning in that new hose or used 20 LB propane tank from Walmart? Could Walmart be doing their job wrong with that propane?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,287
    Options
    Could be a whole list of possibilities. First thing I'd do is check the tank using a known good regulator and a known good appliance -- say a friend's grill or something of the sort. Get that off the list.

Assuming the tank checks our OK...

Then check the hose and your regulator with that tank and your friend's grill.

If those check out OK, then the likelihood is that the two burner stove is really messed up. You should try it with a 1 pound tank, exactly as it used to work, to be more certain. Tea Tree oil is not particularly volatile, so if some got into the workings -- the burners, the orifices, the valves, etc., which is very likely, it is probably still there. I have no idea how you would get it out...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England