Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Laars fan error 61

Options
jrkeat
jrkeat Member Posts: 71
edited October 2020 in Gas Heating
I have a Laars Mascot FT 120, heat only. When I flip the power switch on, the fan will sometimes run slowly for a couple of seconds. This produces a fan error #61. I think is sometimes does it during normal operation, but not very often.

I have tried a different fan. I have tried a different main board. I have tried disconnecting both the air intake and the flue pipe. None of these has stopped it from creating new #61 errors.

(No PVC glue was used--apparently one possible problem is that PVC glue from new joints clogs the boiler.)

Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this problem?

The HTP UFT has the same board and boiler, so any experience from there might be helpful.

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,677
    Options
    My uft occasionally sets some fan error, i think on power up. It doesn't prevent it from running. i clear it and it is fine.
  • BillyO
    BillyO Member Posts: 277
    Options
    have you called laars tech support? they are always right on
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,909
    edited October 2020
    Options
    A: The UFT is similar, but not the same at all.

2: Your flue piping isn't glued?!?!

D : How old is the boiler? What were the original combustion analysis results?
  • jrkeat
    edited October 2020
    Options
    A: They have exactly the same board and the same error codes and many of the same Kiturami innards. (The UFTs get an extra parameter #40.) You can see someone else with a UFT has a similar problem above, and someone else in a different thread did too. (https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/169451/just-put-into-service-htp-uft-100-unusual-behavior-defective-main-control#latest)
    2: It's galvi going in, and Centrotherm SW going out, so it's not glued.
    D : It was delivered in April. I think I remember seeing 2019 on it somewhere. The combustion analysis was in the exact middle of the range--I imagine they come set correctly when they arrive, since they're tested before shipping. The problem has happened since installation.
  • jrkeat
    Options
    BillyO said:

have you called laars tech support? they are always right on

I have talked with them three times on this issue. They have been great in some sense, but haven't solved the problem, and basically ran out of ideas. The suggested straighten the flue (which I did, and even went to the point of pulling both pipes off entirely), and mentioned the thing about PVC glue getting pulled into the boiler. They gave me the number of a plumber to call, which I haven't done yet.

It's possible this is kind of normal--you wouldn't even notice it if you aren't in the habit of looking at the error log in the configuration menu. Certainly no normal homeowner would notice.
  • jrkeat
    Options
    One other possible symptom: the boiler rattles a bit when the fan runs.
  • BillyO
    Options
    Try reaching out to Ken Resnick over at Rathe associates. Im sure he can help
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,677
    Options
    does it cause a problem or does it just set a non-lockout error? perhaps it is a bug in the firmware.
  • jrkeat
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

does it cause a problem or does it just set a non-lockout error? perhaps it is a bug in the firmware.

It's a non-lockout error. The LED on the board blinks off for a second when it starts up--it doesn't really cause a problem. Both boards I've had have done it.

• jrkeat
    edited October 2020
    Options
    BillyO said:

Try reaching out to Ken Resnick over at Rathe associates. Im sure he can help

I'm excited to see what he has to say. Even if he doesn't know what it is, it will be informative. (If he doesn't know what it is but hasn't seen it, then that means it's not normal and I should keep looking.)
  • jrkeat
    Options
    Ken Resnick did indeed solve it. He says that I need firmware version 10.1 or 11, not 10, which is what I have. I was able to prove it because I re-installed the board that came with the machine (which has a different problem), and that one doesn't produce the #61 error. Now I need to get a 10.1 or 11 board out of Laars.
    mattmia2
  • BillyO
    Options
    Ken is the man!!!!