Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to replace vents—both main and radiator?

Options
I posted a few days ago and got some excellent feedback from this forum. Thank you to all who helped me. 

I now know I need to replace my main vents. I ordered Gorton #2s. Can someone direct me to a website or YouTube video that will walk me step by step through removing the old vents and installing new ones?

I’ve also found that several radiators appear misvented, with two vents on one radiator:

I believe I should be removing the vent above the pipe inlet. If that is correct, what do I need to do, and what should I use to cover the hole that will result from removing the vent?

Thank you all!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,317
    Options
    On replacing the main vents... I suppose there is a youtube. There seems to be for everything else... but the main thing is to just get the vent to unscrew. This may require some vigour -- and the most important thing to remember is to place a backup wrench on the section of pipe or fitting you don't want to unscrew, while you are trying to unscrew the bit that you do want to unscrew.

Once you get the old vent off, clean up the threads. You may find you need to use a bushing to accommodate the new vent. I use tape on the joints; some folks prefer dope.

On the multiple vents on one radiator -- get the main venting straight first, then worry about the radiator vents. They may need the extra capacity.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Dan_NJ
    Dan_NJ Member Posts: 247
    Options
    Those look like Dole adjustable vents in that particular photo. You could possibly turn off the one over the inlet by dialing it down all the way. Or possibly add/subtract a half turn so the vent is upside down, if it's not stuck open that would have the same effect without needing to plug a hole. I liked the Dole adjustable, wish they still made them. If they were mine I'd try giving them a cleaning and re-use.