Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

finding a new valve for an old radiator

Options
the valve is 1 and 1/4 pipe from the pipe from the boiler however the diameter of the feed into the radiator is at least 1 and 1/2 , i went to 2 supply houses in Hartford , no luck tried the red and white valve they sell , nope, Please any body out there who could direct me to a specialized shop who sells these or any idea how to make it work again , the original has no brand on it, it may be original when ever the system was put in , house built in 1841 , 3,200 sq. ft. ; 13 radiators in house, thank you so much in advance, sincerely, clark

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Can you post a photo of the valve? One pipe steam? Two pipe steam? And why is a new one needed?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • baerlisnice
    baerlisnice Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi Jamie, Thanks , one pipe steam, the collar on the old one was completely shot, I mean inside the vertical shaft when I open the valve to turn the heat on, there was a collar to hold in the packing material, so the packing material now just oozes out from around the shaft and alot of steam/water comes out on thr floor and the insulation in the basement is ruined, i will post a photo asap thanks, clark
  • Joe_Dunham
    Joe_Dunham Member Posts: 55
    Options
    So its 1 1/4" in and 1 1/2" out to the radiator? Keep in mind pipe is measured ID (internal diameter) 1" pipe is 1.32 OD 11/4" pipe is 1.66 OD 11/2" pipe is 1.9 OD 2" pipe is 2.38 OD. Maybe you can get a 1 1/2" valve and put a 11/2" x 1/14" bushing in the inlet. This may change the dimension a bit
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,677
    Options
    You could probably put a washer inside the packing nut to fix that.
  • baerlisnice
    baerlisnice Member Posts: 11
    Options
    great idea i will try that , thanks