Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bad mixing valve?

Options
2»

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,321
    Options
    Hi @frankjc , A few thoughts about different things: To "feel" what the tempering valve is doing, run hot water someplace and then feel the three pipes connecting to the valve. If the "cold" line goes from room temp to cold, you know the valve is mixing in cold water. If the "hot" inlet isn't all that hot, you know there is a problem with hot water supply. The outlet temp will depend on what he others are doing, but it's a good way to confirm flow.

Pulling out the guts will give you only what's coming from the boiler, which could be variable and dicey.

About going electric, you might want to consider using a heat pump water heater. There are rebates for them and they can compete with fuel fired units because they can have a good coefficient of performance (COP).

Yours, Larry
    frankjcethicalpaul
  • frankjc
    frankjc Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Tried it with the guts taken out of the tempering valve, no difference. To me that means no hot water getting to the valve. 
    Probably a clogged coil.
    Considering an electric water heater. I have lived here 12 years and have never had good hot water.
    If I go electric, how to I tell this boiler not to fire up to make hot water?
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,987
    Options
    frankjc said:

Knob is turned all the way hot. Always has been. I'm done playing with it for today. I was thinking about taking the thermostat completely out of the valve to see what happens. I'm really tempted to just get an electric on demand hot water heater. My hot water has never been much good anyways.

Not that complicated changing the the tempering valve to a mixing valve. Set your mind to it. You can get it done, and maybe your its your best bet at this point.
  • frankjc
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Inside the boiler, is the hot water coil submerged in water, or heated by a flame?
    If the boiler was low on water would it cause this?
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,710
    Options
    The coil should be submerged. That wouldn't affect flow, just heat transfer. It could be clogged with minerals from the water on the domestic water side.

Is the boiler set up for steam or hot water on the heating side?
  • frankjc
    Options
    Hot water.
    My friend was wondering if low water level would cause t
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,216
    Options
    On problem with some thermostatic mixers is when the coils lime up you get a big pressure drop. If the cold pressure is higher than the hot, the valve will not mix properly, or at all. Most want less than a 2:1 ratio cold to hot.
    Be nice if you could flow test the coil somehow, disconnect the hot and run water thru it, see how it flows..
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    karen_no_man_needed
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,216
    Options
    Here is the troubleshooting procedure, they do not mention a pressure ratio. They indicate 2 gpm min
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream