Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help

Options
I have a Weil-McLain Blue bought it with the house supposedly from either the 60-70s The Coil went the company wants to replace the whole system. Should I fix the coil or should I get a new oil burner and indirect water heater.
looking at the system 2000 or peerless 

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited September 2020
    Options
    We'd really need to know the condition of the system and boiler, but at 40+ years old, replacement should be considered.

Also, an indirect and new boiler would probably save you 30%+ on fuel.

If it's an oil fired replacement, I'd look at the Buderus G115 with a Riello burner. It's by far the best cast iron boiler made. It's 3 pass and very easy to clean. I wouldn't consider a pin boiler for oil.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    STEVEusaPA
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Condition is important, so is comfort. I would also recommend a 3 pass or and Energy Kinetics.
    Never a pin boiler.
    The one issue with replacing the coil if bolts/studs get broken, very possible, the added cost may make the coil replacement more expensive.
    Probably better to just put that money into a properly sized boiler with indirect, or the EK.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Jellis
    Jellis Member Posts: 228
    Options
    Id say replace the boiler,
    good chance in additional problems showing up when replacing the coil with a boiler that age. The system 2K has my vote, great systems and great company to work with.
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    Options
    The old pin boilers were reliable, but fuel hogs in the spring summer and fall.  If you have a System 2000 installer in your area, that would be my first call.
  • Chris24L14
    Chris24L14 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    Weil Mclain Blue? a P68?