Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

can a power-vented gas water heater share its circuit?

Options
is it okay to plug a gas water heater into an outlet on a circuit with other things? the current draw for the fan and igniter is roughly 3A max, so it shouldn't be an issue from a breaker/wiring standpoint, but I'm wondering if USA electrical code requires it to be on its own circuit. Is anyone familiar with this?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    It's okay as long as it, and the other things, don't overload the circuit.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,549
    Options
    Any appliance (like the water heater above) that does not require it's own branch circuit due to it's relatively small load and is FASTENED in place, water heater, window ac units etc can be used on a general use branch circuit provided the equipment fastened in place on that circuit does not exceed 50% of the branch circuit rating. So 7.5 amp max for a 15 amp circuit and 10 amps for a 20 amp circuit
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,549
    Options
    Doesn't mean it is always best practice but it is allowed
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,713
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I've got a dehumidifier + pump and all of my internet modem / router / switches and the recirc pump and Ecosteam  sharing with my power vent heater.   All of its such low consumption it doesn't matter.  Well, the dehu isn't but it's not huge either.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment