Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipes hot in summer

Skindel
Skindel Member Posts: 14
Today I pulled out a steam radiator on my first floor, cut the pipe, and screwed a cap over the connector in the basement. I went down later and noticed that the pipe was hot to the touch. This surprised me since my heat is off in the summer. Does the boiler heat all the pipes all year around and is this efficient? 
Thanks!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,177
    If the boiler isn't running -- boiler turned off, not making domestic hot water or something like that -- the pipes shouldn't be hot.

So... is the boiler running to make domestic hot water? If so, what is the aquastat for the DHW set for?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    If you make hot water from the water in the boiler the aquastat should be set no higher than 190 degrees F and 170 degrees low.

That setting would keep the volume of hot water at the maximum out put of the coil.

The coils capacity to produce hot water is based on a submersed temperature of 180 degrees F.

Of course when you make steam to heat the building the temperature of the domestic hot water increases. Therefore a mixing valve should be installed on the domestic hot water piping and set to a non scalding temperature.

Jake