Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator Replacement - Different size opening

Options
Hi there, so I have a leaking radiator. Its a gurney. I bought a replacement radiator that looks similar (different mfg) but same size and realize the opening on the new one is smaller. Gurney looks like a 2 inch opening and the opening for the new one maybe 1 1/4. All the other radiators in the house have a smaller opening but the Gurney the piping is larger. Is there a way to change the piping to fit the new radiator? Do they sell a shut off valve that acts as a reducer also? Shut off doesn't work so will probably replace that too.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    I use one like https://www.supplyhouse.com/Ward-FBHE2x1-1-2-2-x-1-1-2-Black-Hexagon-Bushing-763000-p

They have every conceivable combination, the fine folks at supplyhouse.com

They sell valves too. It's typical in my very limited experience for a new radiator to come with a large thread, so that it can be reduced to whatever your supply pipe is (and that's the size valve you should get).
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • steamer02180
    steamer02180 Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Thanks. The opening in the new rad is smaller than supply pipe now (as the older rad had a bigger opening) so I guess I would need to either reduce the pipe coming from the supply pipe/shut off or increase the pipe size coming out of radiator before it connects to supply/shut off? Or do I need to buy a rad that has the same large size opening as the one before.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,670
    Options
    Is this radiator steam or hot water? If it is steam, you have to be careful that your reduction won't trap condensate. It coudl also affect the balance of this radiator with the other radiators if it is steam but a small segment is less likely to be a problem than say the whole pipe from the main would be.
  • steamer02180
    Options
    It's a one pipe steam system and was thinking about condensate drain. It seems to be the only radiator in the house with a 2 inch opening and the only Gurney rad that was in the house. All the other radiators looks to be the smaller 1 1/4.

A place that sells radiators near me had the exact same Gurney rad but he wanted 750 dollars for it and I thought that was extreme so I purchased this one not realizing the opening was smaller until I brought it home.

Just wondering if there is a work around or if I need to get the Gurney with the 2 inch opening? Seems easier to reduce the piping coming from rad to supply than the other way around
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,160
    Options
    Have you checked to see if the new rad has a bushing? Typically the rads have a large threaded opening that is reduced using to tbe desired supply size. 

Can you post a picture? 
    ethicalpaul
  • steamer02180
    Options
    It does have a bushing. Let me take a pic and I'll post back here.
    ethicalpaul